Tuesday, November 07, 2006

How do you become part of the American club?


Throughout the class discussions of immigration, I remember wondering several times why immigrants just didn't become American citizens. I didn't know much about it and it seemed other people didn't know too much about it either. It might help me to understand why a seemingly simple solution might not be so simple after all. I think it would be interesting to look into the naturalization process and what it entails.

It seems strange to me that someone can be born in this country and automatically have the distinction of an American citizen. Babies are only learning to open their eyes so they have no say in the matter. No one asks them whether or not they want to be part of this country. Yet, you have full grown adults with the desire to be part of America and this country is seemingly making it a challenge for them to do that.

Immigration is such a hot topic right now, it's been talked about in almost all of my classes this semester and I would really like to learn about all sides of this issue, especially when it comes to possible solutions.

No comments: