Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Delish Babes in Politics? mm mm Good!






Surprise! It's me. So, class got me thinking on Monday--thinking of some sort of silly, intriguing topic that fits me, fits the type of junk I enjoy-- I don't know if this really applies, if we really "talked about it" in class...but I'm thinking---let me bounce off of my love and admiration for Hazleton Mayor Lou Barletta, and the article that described him as a "dapper 50 year old mayor..," and let me focus on the effect that appearance has in politics, the effect it has on particular issues, the effect on the public's perception of this person, etc. etc.---but I don't know. We didn't focus on it, per say--at least not much, I know I personally brought it up though, so we'll see--it's like, I'm trying to take the issue of language, of immigration, of visual imagery, of public discourse, and roll it all in to a big ball, and then stretch that ball....like, a lot.

SIDEBAR: Would Marilyn have sung Happy Birthday to JFK if he wasn't handsome?

Would Billy and Monica have messed around if he looked like this?

It is HIGHLY unlikey...and part of the reason I'm fascinated with this whole appearance topic, and the idea that perhaps politics is just one big beauty contest.

(((((Maybe I'm just lonesome for a man, and that's forcing me to look up pictures of babely old guys. Maybe it's my love of tough men--you know, no messin' around--I told a friend once that Joaquin Phoenix as Commodus in Gladiator was my ideal man--he came to the conclusion, from that statement, that I want a maniacal, evil, horrible, pasty-white mate. )))))

That all sounds nasty.
Nasty, but true.
What do you think?

No comments: