Tuesday, November 07, 2006

blog paper!



So, I deleted what I had written here before. Why? Because that's not really what I want to write about. I'm so SICK of computers [and I'm a Computer Science major.. yikes!].

Anyway, I pulled out some of my old schoolwork the other day to look for some old notes of mine, and I came across my photography binder. I'm a closet artist [gasp], and in high school I took two black and white photography courses amongst others, but the photography was my favourite. The last project we did concentrated on photographing a theme.. and we got to wander around Philadelphia for a day to do it. So I picked communication... and I shot four rolls of 36-frame film on it.

That's the backstory to my idea for this paper. I wanted to take a look at how communication influences the rhetorics of belonging that we studied.. how maybe, by communicating with a society through art, graffiti, writing, or regular old speech, someone could feel like they were a bigger part of a society - and how when people don't communicate, you don't assimilate, you don't become one with the society. Does that make any sense? I hope it does. I kind of wanted to be able to, as a part of being able to "research" this topic, walk around campus and Main Street and take pictures of anything that communication applied to - kind of like a photojournalistic type of paper... the point of this paper, I'm thinking, is to prove that maybe, through communicating in many different senses of the word [reading a newspaper, grafitti, etc] with something or someone, you felt like a better part of [insert place here - probably Kutztown, since unless I walk around Philadelphia over Thanksgiving or use the pictures I already have, ...]. Instead of researching it through articles [well, I guess I could find articles by artists, or something like that], it would be more of a field-research paper, I guess. I hope this all makes sense in words!! :
What do you guys think? Trash the idea, or work on it a little more, or ...?

No comments: