Sunday, September 04, 2005

Response to 'Culture Is Ordinary'

Hi, everyone. My name is Jill McGregor. I'm a Freshman at KU and have yet to decide a major, though I am leaning toward a career involving Social Sciences. I was born and raised in Allentown and graduated from Dieruff High School. I am currently living in Kutztown with my Aunt (to save on housing) and unfortunately haven't had much opportunity to meet many people, so I am looking forward to getting to know everyone in class and through the blogs. I am also very shy, so I apologize if I seem stand-offish. I promise I will open up more. Especially in such a small class.

When first thinking about the title of Raymond Williams' "Culture is Ordinary," the word 'familiarity' couldn't help but come to mind. Personally, I believe that familiarity and ordinariness are very closely related and both very comforting ideas. But, obviously, times change. Cultures change.
Williams introduces the topic of change while considering his travels through the country. Growing as a boy in his familiar 'farming valley' while still bearing witness to the growth of industry that will, in given time, swallow his environment. Evidence is shown is Williams' discussion of his Grandfather having worked on a farm, being 'turned out of his cottage' and having to work as a roadman. Also, it is shown in his father's transition from being a farm laborer to becoming a signalman for the railroad company. Williams advanced in a turning point of a great cultural change in American history.
Through the generations of his family, Williams expresses ones familiarity with their culture. His Grandfather, having lived much of his life in Agricultural Society, had the hardest transition into Industrial Society. While, his father 'spoke quietly and happily of when he had started a trade-union branch and a Labour Party group in the village.' And, Williams himself becoming a thriving member of industrial Society, attending college in Cambridge. As he ages, the new culture becomes familiar and 'ordinary.'
Obviously, with this sort of meaning, a persons Culture will be as varied as there are people in the world. But, in an individual sense, "Culture is Ordinary" to all who experience it.

Ok, this is the point when I feel very vulnerable about my writing and hope that I was able to get my point across without losing track or throwing anyone completely off. Let me know what you think.

No comments: