Wednesday, September 14, 2005

i tried to turn my monitor on its side for this one

Yeah, I saw it and was like "why is this sideways?" and picked up my monitor and tried to turn it, but the way the wires were set up, it wouldn't work. I also forgot what the article was about, so when I went to the blog and saw Angus and Burker King, I was like "omg food! I'm gonna like this article!". I was disappointed at first, but then I read it and I actually enjoyed reading it.

In this article, Angus showed to us some flaws in our political system. His main point was that we, as a society, do not have sufficient areas for democratic debate. He points out that television is what most citizens use to gather their news and information, but then says that everything on TV is what they want you to see and hear about, not exactly always what you want to see and hear about. This poses a few problems, however. It allows for only one way conversation, so if you have any questions on the material, or if there's something else you want covered, well too bad, it sucks to be you then. Also, it allows the people in charge of the news to give it a personal bias, only telling you what they want you to know about the topic. They're like advertisers or promoters then, trying to sell you an idea instead of a tangible commodity. This really can be true for any sort of media, but seems to be most prevalent in television.

Another point that he makes is that our citizens seem to be more interested in pleasure and enjoyment than politics. He mentions sporting events a few times, and later on mentions that we have strong tendencies towards consumerism and entertainment in today's society. This reminds me of the book Brave New World by Aldous Huxley, where it shows a society whose citizens are completely immersed in self-pleasure and indulgment that they are taken advantage of and totally controlled by the government.

There are other things in this article I could expound upon, but those are what I feel stuck out in his article the most to me. I figure that Ian got his other points across very well and that other people will probably spend more time on that anyway, so I decided to take a look at some other points of his. I enjoyed reading this article a lot more than I did Fiske's or Davis's, because I felt that his point actually had relevance (Davis's did, but I just didn't enjoy it) and I was interested in Angus's writing much more than the other two.

No comments: