Sunday, September 18, 2005

KU vs. Etown

During my free time over my weekend at home, I went through some of the brochures, letters, and pamphlets that Kutztown University sent me. Taking particular notice to detail, I realized how academic these readings portrayed the campus to be. Steering the potential students, and parents of students, away from the idea that KU could possibly be a "party school" are posters on campus that show statistics saying that about 69% of students have 0-3 alcholic beverages in a week...or something like that. The many statements and pictures of the campus and students show an openly friendly area where excellent grades, student involvement, and on-campus jobs are the norm for every student that attends Kutztown. The fountains, trees, and shrubbery create a pretty environment and also provides for serene studying areas.

Sure, KU has nice trees and benches alongside fountains, but WHAT ELSE IS THERE TO DO?! For the most part, Kutztown boasts of a dry campus and strict alcohol policies and that KU is NOT a party school. On the other hand, if one doesn't have the knack for sports, or doesn't become comfortable in any certain groups, there is nothing to do; which leaves much room for partying. Even so, I will give credit to the school, it is a lot nicer than I expected it to be. Coming to Kutztown University, I was biased in the beginning because Kutztown was not my first choice school. I was already in love with Elizabethtown College; I loved everything about it! So, when I visited here for the first time, which wasn't until Connections, I was holding the campus and school policies up to that of E-town. After Connections I became more fond of Kutztown University, but not more than Elizabethtown-not even close. My mind was set on attending Elizabethtown College; in my opinion, no other school could compare. However, due to financial problems, it turned out that I had to go to Kutztown, and I must admit that I have loved it so far. The campus is nice and for the most part, so are the people. On many occassions, I have seen the general public sitting by the fountains or rollerblading on the sidewalks, and they do not seem to cause any problems. As for students attending KU, we are often out and about in society and the borders between the two becomed blurred. It is stressed that Kutztown has a dry campus, but I hear of parties or drinking in the dorms quite a bit, but I think that comes with any college where students are let to their own choices and given responsibilites that aren't as freely given in high school. I think that KU holds true to its' painted portrait fairly well, and I have no regrets in coming here.

1 comment:

K. Mahoney said...

Nice comparison...I am curious what about Connections began to change your mind about the school? I like how you point to students/people sitting by the fountains studying or rollerblading. That made me think: Does that mean that once we are here and, for example, sit by the fountains, do we become part of the university's argument? That is, as we sit by the fountains, are we "persuading" people that KU is the kind of place that you want to be?

I was also interested in what you said about KU academics. I'd love to hear more about how this is conveyed. I am also interested in the "0-3" posters. To be honest, I am not sure what the message of those posters is supposed to be. Do you see the posters as supporting the argument that KU is NOT a party school?