Sunday, December 04, 2005

Abstract Revision...yeah, it's really late...

Culture and identity with a certain group of people is the main theme for my paper. I find the thought of language use in culture, and the idea that people can identify with certains areas through language, fascinating. So, to begin with, I was inspired to do this paper by the article "Arts of the Contact Zone" by Mary Louise Pratt. Throughout my paper I refer to her writings, and also other authors who have written about the importance of lanuage as well. I found that many traditions and national patriotism stems from a sense of unity through a common language. Language helps one person relate to and share their ideas and thoughts and feelings with someone else. Underestimated is the fact that people rely on this common bond to get through life because without the ability to express ourselves in one way or another, human life would either be a horrible experience or completely nonexistent. It all goes to show that everyone should take pride in not only their culture, but the language and communication that allows us to identify with that specific culture and nationality.

No comments: